The Creative Area of Learning is focussed on developing the skills required by new Year 7 students at BCHS to support their transition from primary school to secondary school.
All Year 7 students spend twenty hours each fortnight (out of fifty) in their Creative Curriculum lessons. There are four key teachers of the Creative course:
- Elizabeth Bowerfield
- Jenny Hall
- Suzette Kuhn
- Natasha Trzebinski
This core team of teachers deliver around eighty percent of all the lessons in the Creative Area of Learning. The other twenty percent are delivered by our art, drama and music teachers.
The Creative Area of Learning is led by Lizzie Bowerfield, who also teaches music. Lizzie has been part of the Creative Curriculum teaching time through since its first year in 2014-2015, learning along with our first cohort of Year 7s about how to ensure the highest possible gains are made in learning skills during the first year at secondary school. Lizzie and her team continue to develop the course each year.
Creative lessons focus on the skills required to succeed as independent learners in secondary school, building on the already excellent skills that our students have developed in their primary schools. The school year is divided up in to six "seasons", one covering each of the terms of the calendar. Students work on projects on a weekly basis, focussing on skills including research, report writing, presentation and group work.
- Lizzie Bowerfield (EBD) - Lead Teacher Creative
- Claudia Campbell (CCL) - Assistant Headteacher Pastoral
- Jenny Hall (JHL) - Teacher of Creative
- Jean Mboglem (JMM) - Teacher of Creative
- Christian Ryalls (CRS) - Teacher of Creative
- Natasha Trzebinski (NTI) - Teacher of Creative
- Simon Fishleigh (SFH) - Teacher of Ethics and Philosophy
- Suzette Kuhn - Teacher of Creative